Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Feeling guilty

I just booked our trip to Tikal this morning. The whole affair was very quick (we were done in 10-15 min). But I was asked by the accountant living in my house, how much it cost. I felt so guilty as I uttered the number. And within hearing distance, was Maria :( The cost for one person is a few times her monthly salary over. I struggle with how I feel, I feel, about this. We can go into a long discussion over the merits/disadvantages of a society where people are not, and are not treated, equally. But that will take way too long.


Another thing I have mixed feelings on is how good a listener I am when people tell me about their injury/ies. As you can imagine, I hear a lot of stories about how the person sustained his/her injury. I know my reaction to people asking me about my injuries varies all the time. I just hope that I strike the right balance of respectfulness, sadness, (maybe) optimism. I think my tone of voice is tries to be very matter-of-fact about the cause of the accident i.e. what happened, happened.


I always love seeing the volcano under different weather conditions each day.

No comments:

Post a Comment