Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Why this blog?

My main impetus for creating this blog is to document events, thoughts and feelings on this adventure I am embarking on. I don't speak a lick of Spanish (nor am I particularly facile with Romance languages) so this will be rather comical. I also want to document as honestly as possible the various challenges I will experience as a Spinal Cord Injury survivor, travelling and living in a developing country where resources for the disabled do not abound.

Here I am, less than thrilled about my wheelchair and turtle-suit.

 I have been quite anxious about figuring out SCI-related logistics e.g. how do I transport 3 months worth of catheters and latex gloves (my bowel & bladder function are impaired)? How will I manage to take public transportation or walk from place to place given my limited mobility? How do I politely tell the host-family that I can't eat any more food because of my GI-issues without offending them? Will there be sufficient lighting in the shared bathroom for cath-ing mysef? Sometimes I think it is terribly unfair that I need to think about issues like this, and then I am overwhelmed with sadness. But it is what it is and I can't let these inconveniences intimidate me and prevent me from living life.

No comments:

Post a Comment